Okay….it’s been a while.
Sorry. I started a new business, https://Khalanaturals.com , and it (plus my other three jobs) takes up a lot of my time.
Recently there was a change in ownership of the gym I coach at and that, of course, was a bit of a stressful time for me.
Happily, Coach Bu, is just as passionate about clean eating and living as I am. It has renewed my interest in mentoring others look and feel their best. There will be more information on that in an upcoming post.
Right now, I give you a muffin recipe that I tweaked a bit from joyfoodsunshine.com.
Pumpkin Flax Muffins
Makes approximately 8 muffins
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice*
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 TBS coconut oil melted
- 4 eggs lightly beaten
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (optional)
*Use store bought…or make your own! Way easier and cheaper.
Pumpkin Pie Spice (makes enough for a few batches or add to smoothies…or pumpkin pie!)
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a standard muffin pan, set aside (or use silicone muffin moulds).
- Combine coconut flour, almond flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice baking soda, baking powder, flax seed, and salt in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, coconut sugar, melted coconut oil and vanilla.
- Add eggs and stir until completely combined. (I mixed this in my VitaMix as I was using my Mom’s pumpkin that wasn’t completely pureed).
- And the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Mix in chocolate chips (if using) by hand.
- Let the mixture set for 5 minutes. (this gives the coconut flour time to soak up the moisture).
- Scoop ¼ cup portions of batter into the prepared muffin pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of each muffin comes out clean. (To make into bread bake in 9×5” loaf pan for 35-40 minutes!)